For this tutorial we’ll be showing you how we paint the Ghost Knights for our Grey Knight army. While we’ll be using a Terminator for this tutorial the steps will translate to any model you’d like to look ghostly. Lets get started!
Army Painter Matt White
H&S Evolution AL Plus Airbrush
Windsor and Newton Series 7 Size 0 Brush
We’ll be using an airbrush for part of this tutorial running at 25 Psi.
We’ll also be using a technique called zenithal highlighting. To do this you spray the model from a top down view in a 90° cone. This creates a gradient where you can see the highlight colour from above while keeping the previous colour visible from below.
1. Start by priming the model with a Grey Primer.
2. Basecoat the model with Celestra Grey
3. With an airbrush apply a zenithal highlight of Ulthuan Grey.
4. Wash the whole model with a 6:1 mix of Lahmian Medium/ Nihilakh Oxide. Make sure to move the wash around so it doesn’t pool in any areas.
5. Using a 3:1 mix of Lahmian Medium/ Coelia Greenshade wash the deepest recesses of the model.
6. Edge highlight the whole model with Ulthuan Grey.
7. Edge highlight the upper edges of the model with Army Painter Matt White.
8. Using thinned Incubi Darkness add text to any purity seals/books etc
With that the ghostly parts are all finished. Now all that’s left to do is paint the rest of the details and your model’s ready to hit the battlefield.
If you’d like to see how we paint power weapons like the picture above make sure to check out this tutorial aswell:
Tutorial: Painting Power Weapons
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Will you be using it yourself? Let us know in the comments.
If you enjoyed this article here’s a few ways you can support us: Check out our commission service and let us get your army painted and ready for battle. Place your next order with our affiliates Element Games using our referral link here. Share our posts and tell your friends. Thanks very much!