We’ve received a ton of requests asking how we paint our metallic blue Alpha Legion so for this tutorial we’re going to show you just that. Lets get started!
Army Painter Plate Mail Metal
Army Painter Shining Silver
Tamiya Clear Green
Tamiya Clear Blue
Tamiya X-20A Thinner
H&S Evolution AL Plus Airbrush
Windsor and Newton Series 7 Size 0 Brush
We’ll be using an airbrush for this tutorial running at 25 Psi. While it’s possible to apply the Tamiya Clears with a brush it will be much more difficult to achieve a smooth result so I wouldn’t recommend it.
We’ll also be using a technique called zenithal highlighting. To do this you spray the model from a top down view in a 90° cone. This creates a gradient where you can see the highlight colour from above while keeping the previous colour visible from below.
1. After undercoating with a Grey Primer basecoat the model with Army Painter Plate Mail Metal.
2. Airbrush a zenithal highlight of Army Painter Shining Silver.
3. Airbrush a zenithal highlight of 50/50 Tamiya Clear Green/Tamiya Thinner
4. Airbrush an all over layer of 50/50 Tamiya Clear Blue/Tamiya Thinner
5. Highlight the edges of the armour panels with Army Painter Shining Silver.
6. Airbrush an all over layer of 50/50 Tamiya Clear Blue/Tamiya Thinner. Be careful not to go too heavy with this as you want to tint the highlights but not cover them up completely.
7. Wash the recesses with Nuln Oil.
8. Glaze the whole model with Guilliman Blue.
With that the armour’s finished. All that’s left to do is pick out the other details, finish the base and then your Alpha Legionnaire is ready for battle!
Was this tutorial helpful? Will you be using it to paint your own Alpha Legion? Let us know in the comments.
If you enjoyed this article here’s a few ways you can support us: Check out our commission service and let us get your army painted and ready for battle. Place your next order with our affiliates Element Games using our referral link here. Share our posts and tell your friends. Thanks very much!