There’s been a lot of interest in how we paint the armour for our Grey Knights so it’s time to throw back the curtain and show you exactly how they’re done. Lets get started!
Grey Knights Steel
Army Painter Plate Mail Metal
Army Painter Shining Silver
H&S Evolution AL Plus Airbrush
Windsor and Newton Series 7 Size 0 Brush
We’ll be using an airbrush for part of this tutorial running at 25 Psi.
We’ll also be using a technique called zenithal highlighting. To do this you spray the model from a top down view in a 90° cone. This creates a gradient where you can see the highlight colour from above while keeping the previous colour visible from below.
1. After priming the model basecoat it with Grey Knights Steel.
2. With an airbrush apply a zenithal highlight of Plate Mail Metal.
3. Wash the whole model with a 1:1:2 mix of Nuln Oil/ Drakenhof Nightshade/ Lahmian Medium. Make sure to move this wash around so it doesn’t pool on any of the flatter surfaces.
4. Using a 3:1 mix of Contrast Medium/ Ultramarines Blue glaze the lower volumes of the armour panels to give them a blue tint. You can also run this into some of the deeper recesses to give them more definition.
5. Using a 2:1 mix of Lahmian Medium/ Plate Mail Metal area highlight the upper volumes of the armour.
6. Edge highlight the model with Shining Silver.
With those steps done that’s the armour finished. Now all that’s left to do is paint the rest of the details and your Grey Knight will be ready to purge some Daemons!
If you’d like to see how we paint power weapons like the picture above make sure to check out this tutorial aswell:
Tutorial: Painting Power Weapons
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Will you be using it to paint your own Grey Knights? Let us know in the comments.
If you enjoyed this article here’s a few ways you can support us: Check out our commission service and let us get your army painted and ready for battle. Place your next order with our affiliates Element Games using our referral link here. Share our posts and tell your friends. Thanks very much!